Welcome to Project Knitway or should I say Project Renottaway? It's my cyberspace place to post my favorite things...thoughts about family and creativity and design. One of my favorite things is making stuff, specifically clothing and accessories from fiber and metal. So you'll see a lot about that here. I also love spending time with my family, so there will be a bit about that too. When I'm not with my family or in my studio, I am most likely at nextdoor, my store. I have always had a store ever since I was a young woman. I started with a weaving store called the niddy noddy in Waukesha eons ago. I ended with nextdoor in Brookfield. It's my dream store filled with great clothing, especially denim. Really nice women work and shop there, it's a fun place to be. You can find us there every day and online at www.shopatnextdoor.com So come for a visit here and there.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ready, Set, Go...

Yesterday it was the Badgers, today it's the Packers. I thought it fitting to start Project Knitway out with a scarf. After all what beginning knitter doesn't start with a scarf? You really can't go wrong. It can never be too long and if it's too short, there's always decorative crochet to add. After all the years of knitting, I can do a good job of guesstimating how wide and how long, ie stitches, rows and gauge. In blogs ahead I will share lots of little tricks of the trade that I discovered, but all in good time. For starters though, my goal is not to teach you how to use a knitting machine as much as inspire you to want to. There are lots of good books out there and instruction manuals that come with the machine. So here it is, the work horse. I've had this machine for 25 years. I guess you could say it's vintage, along with me. You can buy a similar version, of the machine that is, brand new, more about that later. In the next photos I've cast on my stitches and started to knit, 200 rows later and a change of color I have my scarf. I like the continuous scarf idea, so I sewed the ends together. Hmmm, kind of boring, it needed something. How about a simple headband with a machine knit "rosette"?  Walla! Go Packers!
                                                
Basic Instructions: Materials..Pound of Caron each, in green and gold purchased at a local craft store. Lots left over.
Cast on 40 stitches (needles) every other needle EON...more about this later.
Knit 100 rows at Tension 8 (T8) change color and knit 100 rows more.
Bind off...more about this later. Sew ends of scarf together to form continuous scarf. HMMM...kind of boring.
Knit a headband to go with....Cast on 30 stitches EON, knit 80 rows, bind off.
Sew ends together, then sew edges together to form a double layer band.
Cast on 4 stitches of gold yarn, knit 100 rows. Bind off. Sew strip into circle "rosette" and sew onto band. Walla. Go Packers!