Welcome to Project Knitway or should I say Project Renottaway? It's my cyberspace place to post my favorite things...thoughts about family and creativity and design. One of my favorite things is making stuff, specifically clothing and accessories from fiber and metal. So you'll see a lot about that here. I also love spending time with my family, so there will be a bit about that too. When I'm not with my family or in my studio, I am most likely at nextdoor, my store. I have always had a store ever since I was a young woman. I started with a weaving store called the niddy noddy in Waukesha eons ago. I ended with nextdoor in Brookfield. It's my dream store filled with great clothing, especially denim. Really nice women work and shop there, it's a fun place to be. You can find us there every day and online at www.shopatnextdoor.com So come for a visit here and there.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Orange You Glad?

So you're probably wondering what this bleak photo has to do with orange and being glad. Well, despite the dreary day, it happens to be 50 degrees warmer here in Wisconsin than it was a week ago! It's a heat wave. One is tempted to put on flip flops, but that would be going a bit too far. However we are all perking up our wardrobe with color, especially our favorite shade of orange. I decided to whip up this little shrug and string up a few beads to go with it. It was a very satisfying couple of hours in the studio before heading off to the store. The pattern is my same shrug as before, a simple piece that measures 15 inches by 90 inches. I double stranded a pearl cotton with a textured yarn to create a nice, light weight spring fabric. For construction of the shrug, refer back to my blog on 12/06/10. Here again you COULD hand knit this in a month of Sundays or you could head out to the local craft store, pick up one of those cute little Bond knitters, get started and finished in one day! It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. As for the weather, while it is still February and the forecast is for chillier temps and light snow, but that's still balmy in my book. Stay orange and stick to your knitting! R

PS: not a crafter? You can buy this piece online at 
The proceeds go toward purchasing yarn for the "scarves for shelters" project!