Welcome to Project Knitway or should I say Project Renottaway? It's my cyberspace place to post my favorite things...thoughts about family and creativity and design. One of my favorite things is making stuff, specifically clothing and accessories from fiber and metal. So you'll see a lot about that here. I also love spending time with my family, so there will be a bit about that too. When I'm not with my family or in my studio, I am most likely at nextdoor, my store. I have always had a store ever since I was a young woman. I started with a weaving store called the niddy noddy in Waukesha eons ago. I ended with nextdoor in Brookfield. It's my dream store filled with great clothing, especially denim. Really nice women work and shop there, it's a fun place to be. You can find us there every day and online at www.shopatnextdoor.com So come for a visit here and there.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Three Easy Pieces or Take Cream?

  I designed this pattern several years ago and have been knitting it in lots of variations ever since. It lends itself to a variety of different yarns, stitch textures, color ways and has a very dramatic finished look. I sketched out the pieces for you with the dimensions for a medium size jacket that will fit a size 8 to 12 easily. All you have to do is plug in your gauge to the pieces and knit away. You may want to refer back to my blog on gauge on 12/2/2011.As you are knitting I recommend marking the center of all the pieces as well as the sleeves. This makes it much easier to put it all together. Once you have the pieces knit and blocked, the fun begins. It can get a little confusing at first, but hang in there because the end result is worth it. Following step 2, draw an arc on the piece using a marker. Machine stitch along the "arc", then zigzag over the stitching and cut away the arc. A serger works perfect for this step. Next attach the back to this piece as shown. You can do this by hand or machine, whatever your preference. Fold the sleeve piece in half as shown in 3 and sew the underarm seams of the sleeves. Now sew the collar to the sides of the back piece and then to the "arc". It sounds complicated but really isn't and makes sense as you are doing it. You will find more variations of the jacket on my one a day blog www.shopatnextdoor.blogspot.com 
Have fun and stick to your knitting!