Welcome to Project Knitway or should I say Project Renottaway? It's my cyberspace place to post my favorite things...thoughts about family and creativity and design. One of my favorite things is making stuff, specifically clothing and accessories from fiber and metal. So you'll see a lot about that here. I also love spending time with my family, so there will be a bit about that too. When I'm not with my family or in my studio, I am most likely at nextdoor, my store. I have always had a store ever since I was a young woman. I started with a weaving store called the niddy noddy in Waukesha eons ago. I ended with nextdoor in Brookfield. It's my dream store filled with great clothing, especially denim. Really nice women work and shop there, it's a fun place to be. You can find us there every day and online at www.shopatnextdoor.com So come for a visit here and there.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Looming Thoughts or Thank You Ralph





Every Sunday I look forward to the NY Times style section, especially Ralph Lauren's full page color ad. This week was no exception and I wasn't disappointed. Pictured in all its glory was a beautiful poncho reminiscent of ancient Japanese kimonos. The model wore a wonderful strand of African beads around her neck and wrist. The photo made me think of my loom that has stood empty in my studio for several years. So this morning with coffee in hand, I sat down and started to weave. I wasn't sure I would even remember how, but it quickly came back to me. The rhythmical sound of the shuttle as it flies across, creating fabric row by row, inch by inch brought back memories of all the enjoyable hours I sat at my loom. I have no idea what I making this fabric for, it will be my work in progress. I'm  using yarns that I spun & dyed in 
a bright array of colors that as a garment will look more like Joseph's Technicolor Dreamcoat than Ralph's poncho. Whatever the result I will have RL and his wonderful inspirations to thank for my return to my loom. 


Renotta