Welcome to Project Knitway or should I say Project Renottaway? It's my cyberspace place to post my favorite things...thoughts about family and creativity and design. One of my favorite things is making stuff, specifically clothing and accessories from fiber and metal. So you'll see a lot about that here. I also love spending time with my family, so there will be a bit about that too. When I'm not with my family or in my studio, I am most likely at nextdoor, my store. I have always had a store ever since I was a young woman. I started with a weaving store called the niddy noddy in Waukesha eons ago. I ended with nextdoor in Brookfield. It's my dream store filled with great clothing, especially denim. Really nice women work and shop there, it's a fun place to be. You can find us there every day and online at www.shopatnextdoor.com So come for a visit here and there.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

On a Roll

I should have called this blog Project Renotta instead of Project Knitway. Although I haven't been doing a lot of knitting lately, my free time has been project oriented. Besides knitting, my other passion is jewelry design, something I discovered waaay back when I had to take a course in the art department at UW Madison. Yikes, talk about scary, but much to my surprise I liked it and have been making stuff ever since. My latest work has been with pewter wire that I twist, bend, wrap and yes roll. Did I mention I love equipment. Some women spend their money on expensive shoes and handbags, not me. No, I buy things like knitting machines, torches, and of all things a rolling mill. It's one of my favorite possessions. You're all probably too young to remember wringer washing machines, but that's what it looks like, except you roll metal through it instead of clothes.  I often use scraps of knit fabrics to roll with the metal and create interesting textures.So there is a connection you see.  Now I'm not suggesting you all run out and buy a rolling mill but I can't say often enough how rewarding it is to design and create something, whether it's clothing, jewelry, food, flowers or words. 
Let the Good Times Roll
Before
After