Welcome to Project Knitway or should I say Project Renottaway? It's my cyberspace place to post my favorite things...thoughts about family and creativity and design. One of my favorite things is making stuff, specifically clothing and accessories from fiber and metal. So you'll see a lot about that here. I also love spending time with my family, so there will be a bit about that too. When I'm not with my family or in my studio, I am most likely at nextdoor, my store. I have always had a store ever since I was a young woman. I started with a weaving store called the niddy noddy in Waukesha eons ago. I ended with nextdoor in Brookfield. It's my dream store filled with great clothing, especially denim. Really nice women work and shop there, it's a fun place to be. You can find us there every day and online at www.shopatnextdoor.com So come for a visit here and there.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Pass the Envelope Please

Did I mention I love pillows and that I love to make them. But I hate putting a zipper in. So when I discovered the envelope pillow it was a perfect match for me. Start with a few yards of fabric. I love muslin because it has a hand woven feel and is very affordable. 
Step 1: cut a piece of fabric the size of your desired pillow. Mine is 24" by 24". I appliquéd two ink jet printed pieces on to make the pillow top more interesting. 
Step 2: Cut 2 pieces of muslin 24" by 18". Hem one right and one left side of each piece along the 24"edge.
Step 3: Lay these pieces right side together onto the pillow top piece and stitch along all 4 sides.

Step 4: Turn the pillow cover right side out and press. Sometimes I like to top stitch 1/4" along the edge of the piece. It gives the look of a piping and adds a nice touch. 

Step 5: Pass the Stuffing Please. You can buy pillow inserts at your local fabric store, but I prefer to make mine. It's quick and easy and inexpensive. You can also get a very nice, plump looking pillow, any size you prefer. Start by sewing a simple pillow sack the same size as your finished pillow top, or even a bit larger. Leave an opening about 6 to 8", large enough to add the stuffing. Add lots of stuffing and spread it evenly into the corners and throughout the sack. Sew up the opening and insert into your pillow top. 


Step 6: Sit back and enjoy. Cost to make: 2 hours of your time and $10. Looks like a million.