Welcome to Project Knitway or should I say Project Renottaway? It's my cyberspace place to post my favorite things...thoughts about family and creativity and design. One of my favorite things is making stuff, specifically clothing and accessories from fiber and metal. So you'll see a lot about that here. I also love spending time with my family, so there will be a bit about that too. When I'm not with my family or in my studio, I am most likely at nextdoor, my store. I have always had a store ever since I was a young woman. I started with a weaving store called the niddy noddy in Waukesha eons ago. I ended with nextdoor in Brookfield. It's my dream store filled with great clothing, especially denim. Really nice women work and shop there, it's a fun place to be. You can find us there every day and online at www.shopatnextdoor.com So come for a visit here and there.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Shady Lane



Most of the year nature provides all the "window shades" I need in my studio. However, during the winter months some of the windows are exposed more than I like. I've thought of purchasing window blinds but I really didn't want the expense or the permanency of them. I finally came up with a solution that was very simple, versatile and affordable. 

I purchased some cotton duck fabric from my local store for $6.00 a yard. It was 60 inches wide so I was able to get 3 - 20 inch panels out of 2 yards, making the cost of each panel $4.00. I hemmed them to fit my window and then sewed 2 velcro tabs to the top back corners. I cut 2 velcro tabs with the sticky backs and applied those to my window. Then i simply hung the panels, no expensive hardware and no messy installation. It was the perfect solution. I can take them down when the greenery is back this spring. I was planning to print or stitch on the panels but I'm enjoying nature's design on them right now. 


This has so many applications. The panels could be made out of fun print fabrics. It would so cute in a child's room with appliqued cloth photos sewn on (see my blog on Jet Set). And what about that first apartment with an unsightly view or a dorm room that needs fixing up? There are so many possibilities! Have some fun and make something.


Renotta