Welcome to Project Knitway or should I say Project Renottaway? It's my cyberspace place to post my favorite things...thoughts about family and creativity and design. One of my favorite things is making stuff, specifically clothing and accessories from fiber and metal. So you'll see a lot about that here. I also love spending time with my family, so there will be a bit about that too. When I'm not with my family or in my studio, I am most likely at nextdoor, my store. I have always had a store ever since I was a young woman. I started with a weaving store called the niddy noddy in Waukesha eons ago. I ended with nextdoor in Brookfield. It's my dream store filled with great clothing, especially denim. Really nice women work and shop there, it's a fun place to be. You can find us there every day and online at www.shopatnextdoor.com So come for a visit here and there.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Back to the Task at Hand or The World A Cording to Renotta


The holidays are coming to a close and it's time to get back to my knitting. My scarf project has taken on a life of its own and has become "Project Knitway". Our customers have heartly embraced it and continue to bring in piles of yarn for me to knit up into warm, wonderful scarvers for the Hebron House shelters in Waukesha, WI. By the end of this week we will have delivered 64 scarves. But lest you get bored with all work and no play, I have taken time out to share one of my favorite textile cords with you. I have used it many times over the years for purse handles, button loops and ties. I first learned this cord in college many years ago in occupational therapy.  My venerable instructor called it "idiot's delight" and said "once you learn this, you will never forget it". I of course thought anatomy and physiology to be much more important. 30 some years later I am still making this cord and can't tell a humerus from a tibia. The cord is very firm and attractive. You can make it with any color or size yarn, but it's best to start with a heavy yarns in two colors. Start by tying the two cords together. Make a loop with the left hand thread and pull the right hand cord through and secure the loop by pulling the left hand cord down. Now repeat the step on the other hand. At first you feel like an idiot, but with practice will master it. It's a wonderful cord that requires only two pieces of yarn and your hands. I like to think that if Dantes and the Abbey had escaped from the Chateau D'If, it would have been on a ladder made with this cord!