Welcome to Project Knitway or should I say Project Renottaway? It's my cyberspace place to post my favorite things...thoughts about family and creativity and design. One of my favorite things is making stuff, specifically clothing and accessories from fiber and metal. So you'll see a lot about that here. I also love spending time with my family, so there will be a bit about that too. When I'm not with my family or in my studio, I am most likely at nextdoor, my store. I have always had a store ever since I was a young woman. I started with a weaving store called the niddy noddy in Waukesha eons ago. I ended with nextdoor in Brookfield. It's my dream store filled with great clothing, especially denim. Really nice women work and shop there, it's a fun place to be. You can find us there every day and online at www.shopatnextdoor.com So come for a visit here and there.

Friday, December 17, 2010

The End of it All

 
Since I decided to finish out my Project Blog by knitting these wrap around scarves for the Hebron House Shelters in Waukesha, you'll be seeing alot of them. (see yesterday's blog) To keep you interested, I thought I'd offer up some of my finishing techniques that I figured out over the years. For starters how about those pesky ends that need to be worked in at the end of every project. I've woven in thousands of them over the years. I like my garment to look as nice on the inside as possible so I hate it when those ends pop back out in the seam. One solution is to use a needle and thread and actually stitch the ends down. This works well but is a bit time consuming. As you'll learn in the blogs ahead, I'm all for the fastest way to do something. So I came up with needle felting the ends down. You can buy a simple felting tool at most yarn stores or on line. All you need is a piece of foam to work on. Weave the ends back into the seam with a darning needle and then needle felt them down. It works great, just takes seconds and holds the ends securely in place.
In blogs ahead I'll be offering some other fun things to do with needle felting that perhaps you haven't explored. in the meantime, have fun and stick to your knitting!

    Renotta