Welcome to Project Knitway or should I say Project Renottaway? It's my cyberspace place to post my favorite things...thoughts about family and creativity and design. One of my favorite things is making stuff, specifically clothing and accessories from fiber and metal. So you'll see a lot about that here. I also love spending time with my family, so there will be a bit about that too. When I'm not with my family or in my studio, I am most likely at nextdoor, my store. I have always had a store ever since I was a young woman. I started with a weaving store called the niddy noddy in Waukesha eons ago. I ended with nextdoor in Brookfield. It's my dream store filled with great clothing, especially denim. Really nice women work and shop there, it's a fun place to be. You can find us there every day and online at www.shopatnextdoor.com So come for a visit here and there.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas

It is Christmas Day and everything is calm and beautiful. I made it through the busy month at nextdoor and headed for the north woods with my husband and dogs. We're enjoying a quiet and relaxing old fashioned Christmas with hand made gifts and thoughtful acts. Since my husband's birthday is on the 23rd, we always celebrate for three days with lots of good food and good cheer. I thought I'd share some of our gifts and projects with you as my year end post. I  start off the holiday season in our home at Thanksgiving time with decorations and a tree. By time Christmas arrives I have enjoyed a month of holiday decor and am ready to leave it behind should we leave home for Christmas. This year though I mentioned that I would miss our little tree, so when we arrived at our cabin this was waiting for me...
Score one for Santa!


Every trip up here we're packed to the hilt with "stuff" from home, this year being no exception. Santa was very agreeable to letting me fill the car with artifacts so I could continue to decorate our cabin. He even gamely stopped at pier 1 in the middle of a snowstorm on the way there. It's amazing how one little purchase can change a space and keep this elf happy.


Score two for Santa
This lovely little fern painting was just what I was looking for.
So by now you're no doubt wondering what is Santa getting for Christmas? Well, that is always a challenge for the man who says he doesn't want or need a thing. But this little elf had a few tricks up her sleeve, starting with a remote! I proudly produced the long lost remote for the tv so Santa could happily surf from his favorite chair. Also lovingly delivered champagne and well lit fires are a nice touch, as are collage photos framed for this nostalgic Santa. Love photoshop elements!


So as you can see, we had a down home kind of holiday. It was perfect. One last "homemade" gift I'd like to share with you was for AJ. I started this cloth photo album for him when he was born and finally got around to putting it together. I love the fact that you can print on fabric with your ink jet printer. It's nothing new to quilters, but for the rest of us it seems revolutionary. There are so many fun projects not involving complex techniques and equipment that you can do at home. I'll be sharing these with you in 2012, but in the meantime, just wanted you to see the book.






Happy New Year. Hope you make a resolution to make something in 2012!


Renotta