Welcome to Project Knitway or should I say Project Renottaway? It's my cyberspace place to post my favorite things...thoughts about family and creativity and design. One of my favorite things is making stuff, specifically clothing and accessories from fiber and metal. So you'll see a lot about that here. I also love spending time with my family, so there will be a bit about that too. When I'm not with my family or in my studio, I am most likely at nextdoor, my store. I have always had a store ever since I was a young woman. I started with a weaving store called the niddy noddy in Waukesha eons ago. I ended with nextdoor in Brookfield. It's my dream store filled with great clothing, especially denim. Really nice women work and shop there, it's a fun place to be. You can find us there every day and online at www.shopatnextdoor.com So come for a visit here and there.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Shawl We Dance?

For as long as I can remember, I have loved shawls and scarves. My mother always had one artfully tied around her neck to go with a cute outfit that she no doubt made for herself. And when I discovered weaving, it was a natural item to create on a loom, long and rectangular with fringe. I have made many scarves over the years, woven, knit, crocheted, hand dyed, screen printed,...not to mention the 800 plus "scarves for shelter" with Project Knitway. My interest in scarves seems to be renewed every spring, this year being no exception. It's the perfect addition to brighten up a tee or add a little warmth on a cool evening. Thanks to Hollywood, the popularity of scarves has dramatically increased to the point that everyone is wearing them. It's not uncommon now to see a young woman artfully wrapped in a colorful scarf at the grocery store. Very French! Of course I'm never satisfied until I have added my own twist to the subject, so in the days ahead I'll be sharing some new ideas on scarves and shawls with you. Just to wet your appetite, I have included a few photos of some of my scarves plus a link to my favorite video clip of Glenn Close discussing French women and their scarves in the movie Le Divorce. Enjoy and check back for more on the subject...because we shawl see. RRT




link to clip from Le Divorce (sorry about the beer ad)