Welcome to Project Knitway or should I say Project Renottaway? It's my cyberspace place to post my favorite things...thoughts about family and creativity and design. One of my favorite things is making stuff, specifically clothing and accessories from fiber and metal. So you'll see a lot about that here. I also love spending time with my family, so there will be a bit about that too. When I'm not with my family or in my studio, I am most likely at nextdoor, my store. I have always had a store ever since I was a young woman. I started with a weaving store called the niddy noddy in Waukesha eons ago. I ended with nextdoor in Brookfield. It's my dream store filled with great clothing, especially denim. Really nice women work and shop there, it's a fun place to be. You can find us there every day and online at www.shopatnextdoor.com So come for a visit here and there.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What Shawl I Do?

Every woman knows this dilemma.  You have an occasion to go to, you have the perfect little sleeveless dress, but you have nothing to wear as a wrap. You head off to the mall or your local boutique for a solution without much success. Of course everyone suggests that if all else fails, carry a shawl. Yes that works. It's easy, it's affordable but... I don't know about you,  I never know what to do with the dang thing. It starts up around your shoulders doing its job, but inevitably ends up in the crook of your arms. It hangs there in a tangled mess. You can't move freely, give a hug gracefully or worst of all, hoist your  glass without some fringe dangling in the wine.  Never mind, RRT Designs to the rescue. 


All you need is a lovely long scarf or shawl and a needle and thread. Fold the shawl in half and sew a 6 to 8 inch seam along one edge of the shawl as shown. Of course if you have a sewing machine handy, all the better.  That's it, you have your "cape shawl".  You'll quickly see that when you put the shawl on it drapes in the back like a cape, sits nicely on your shoulders and hangs gracefully down the front. You can add a pin or a small snap for closure if you like and you're good to go. 
fyi...I sewed with a light thread so you could see the seam. Obviously it would be better to use a matching thread.






Oh and by the way, we have an excellent selection of scarves and shawls at nextdoor. Stop by, pick out your favorite one and we'll even convert it to a cape shawl for you. Shawl we see you?